Sunday, April 13, 2014

Surfer Cake





The other day I got a call from the good friend asking if we could make a cake that had a surfer on for her boyfriend, another good friend of mine. She wanted to make a memorable cake for his 27th birthday. I have had this dream of really getting good at decorating so I decided to take on the challenge!

My first step was to figure out what the heck I was going to do. I knew the best place to start was pinterest. After getting a few ideas there I drew up to ideas. The first being a giant wave and the second a beach scene with the ocean on one half and beach on the other. After baking the cake and figuring out logistics the wave cake was out. I didn't have enough cake to work with so we decided to go with the beach and ocean scene. I made a 9 x 13 yellow cake as my canvas. First step was getting an icing that was blue. I instantly thought blueberry icing! It sounded delicious so I added it to the butter cream only to have the icing turn pink. Not really thinking the blueberry part through I used my icing coloring and got a dark purple and blue tint as my base layer. While I was fiddling with the icing my roommate and friend tackled the fondant wave. I gave them a quick down and dirty of fondant they were off! After the wave was constructed and dried for a little bit we put it on the cake. It looked fabulous! Then I made another butter-cream frosting with blue die for the water. The mix of the blue icing and purple really give a great sea look. A surf board was also created and a little mini surfer man added. I thought about the sand for a little bit wondering what would look best and I came to the conclusion that brown sugar was the best option! I looked real and it was edible, double win!


For being my first cake in this genera I was extremely happy with how it came out! The sea looks like waves and the beach is fantastic! Next up is a dinosaur themed cake for my friend's birthday in two weeks. I'm thinking a whole fondant cake with dinosaurs all over. It will be perfect for her since that is one of her favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment