Sunday, November 17, 2013

Gum Paste and Fondant Flowers


A while back my brother and his fiance started a cake decorating class at Micheals put on by Wilton. Every week they would send photos of their creations and tell me of all the fun and exciting things they were learning. In September I stopped making excuses and enrolled in the first class. It was mainly decorating techniques with butter cream and how to use the various tips. Well that first class got me completely hooked! I loved all the techniques and the fact that I could make cakes look pretty! No more store bought icing for this lady.

The next class I decided to tackle was fondant and gum paste. An introductory level course to the world of fondant, something I have always wanted to do but it was slightly intimidating. Well not any more! Last night was my 2nd class of the 4 class series and I completed gum paste flowers. A rose, carnation and calla lily. Nothing over the top but the basics. They came out great and I never knew they were so easy to create! Hope my family and friends like flowers because they will be popping up frequently on their cakes. Between my brother and me there is no escape.
 You know what I will be doing this weekend. With the snow in the forecast and no skiing yet, it is flower time!

No comments:

Post a Comment