Sunday, March 2, 2014

Baby Booties!


I have decided to become even more domesticated and attempt sewing. Last time I sat in front of a sewing machine was to make a stuffed dog in 7th grade for my home economics class; do they even offer home economics anymore? The 14 year hiatus didn't scare me so I went all in last night.

This sewing idea all came about when different friends were breaking the news they were pregnant. I am not the best at shopping, I become overwhelmed and panicky after 20 mins. I attempted going to Carters and Baby Gap for presents but there were so many options. And not to mention the gender neutral shopping and not knowing what to get. This had me thinking that maybe I could make my own presents just the way I wanted them. Who doesn't like a arts and craft time, I'm sure my friends receiving this wished I stuck to Baby Gap.

I called up a friend who is out of town for the winter that has a sewing machine, I figured she won't be needing it in Colombia. She was beyond accommodating 5,000 miles away and let me borrow her machine, manual and all. The next step was finding a pattern I liked. It took some time but Etsy came through and I found a pattern I could download off the site that I loved.

Last night was the big night to attempt the unknown. It started off a little rough. Just getting the machine to work proved difficult but after that it was smooth sailing. The first pair I attempted was a cute little pink and black polka dot pattern. You can tell it was my first pair as it was far from perfect. But by my third pair I was feeling pretty good and they weren't looking too shabby. I even used a fleece lining to make sure those cute little feet are comfy while wearing my awesome shoes! Next time I sit down with the sewing machine I am going to use the cutest fish fabric.

For my next project I am going to attempt aprons. I think my own custom aprons are just what I need to complement my baking. Check back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment